Jun 3, 2008

Affirmation of Love

Braiding your daughter’s hair can be a bonding, caring act remembered with warmth by both of you. I love pretty hair. Hair that has been combed smoothed and placed in just the right way. I love seeing little girls looking pretty with matching clips and hair-bands.

I enjoy doing the hair of my 2 lovely daughters. It is two to three minutes just us. I smoothly comb out their hair and play with it and we talk. It is very intimate to me. I have had some of the best conversations with my daughters while styling their hair in the mornings.

We come up with a different style every day. With every style I feel she gets an all new fresh look. With her sitting close to me and her soft lock of hair in my hand, I feel that’s the MOMENT. A warm feeling spreads within.



We moms are very eager and curious about our daughters’ hair right from pregnancy. Would it be thick or fine or curly? We keep wondering. Baby combs! When my daughters were babies my brother used to brush their tiny hairs with soft baby combs. They enjoy the soothing feel. What a lovely way of bonding!

Moms do every step in hair care with great care. My grandma and mom would show their care right from the selection of the best ingredients to do the home-made hair wash powder called shikakai.

Shikakai is referred to as "fruit for the hair." It has a naturally mild pH, and it gently cleans the hair without stripping it of natural oils. Indians use shikakai as a natural hair wash to promote hair growth and strengthen hair roots.

Though I don’t do it right from the scratch like them, I have take up the love for hair grooming from them. Moreover, it’s a fortune handed down generation after generation.

In our family tree,

we all are blessed with lustrous long hair

and blessed with loving mom who is a pro in fixing hair.

As Moms, we enjoy :-

1. Giving Shampoo bath to her at regular intervals.

2. Being very careful nothing hurts her eyes & she remains calm.

3. Drying her hair by untangling every single strand.

4. Smelling the heavenly fresh scent from her washed hair.

5. Praising her how she looks gorgeous in free hair.

6. Dressing up and selecting matching clips, hair bands from her ever added collection.

7. Styling her hair with lots of adjustments.

8. Waiting anxiously to read her expression when she sees in mirror soon after.

9. Taking all pride when she smiles at your work of art.

10. Doing minor corrections when something comes off.

11. Repeating steps 1 to 10 until we are lucky enough.

Ya, we don’t know how long this unique feeling of braiding our daughters hair may last. Very soon they would become big girls to take care of it all by themselves.

So I make it a point, that each stroke of comb is an affirmation of my love for her and it is not just another chore.

In my hometown India, braiding daughters hair is very special. In these snaps, we can easily feel the love between mother and daughter. It is a common form of socializing.



Sometimes when I am drained out of the busy day's work I sit & let loose my hair to relax.

My toddler starts combing my hair. It is really wordless. I close my eyes and feel treasured.


No comments: